Thursday, July 4, 2013

The Count's Ball (June 6th)

For many today was a sad day because we left our resort accommodations in Wagrowiec for Gniezno. But our sadness would soon be remedied by attending the Count's Ball. Tonight, the Count Richard DietrichVon Promnitz planned and hosted a Ball for the Bethel community. Bethel Choir was going to be present, as well as Bethel Jazz band and other important people including the Cardinal of Poland. The night promised to be something that we will all remember. But before I get to that I should start with what happened earlier in the day. 

When we arrived in Gniezno we at lunch at the Pietrak hotel. At the Pietrak I was in a room again with Jesse and Chris. After lunch we walked across the platz and down the street to the church. Again this cathedral had excellent sound quality. Our choir has been immensely lucky to have performed in the places that we have. 
View of the Cathedral
View of the altar
After a brief rehearsal, we were given some free time before we had to be back at the hotel to change and to have our devo before our concert. Ben and I walked around town a bit. He needed a white dress shirt for the ball so he bought that. We walked several blocks and did not find any stores open for dress shirts. We discovered that a dress shirt store was right next door to the hotel, and we completely missed it. Silly us. After we robed for the concert, I took some pictures with some of the sweetest and coolest seniors around, then we walked across the platz and down the street to the church.

Left to Right: Me, Grace, and Jeff
Jeff and I
Callie and I
Bre and I
Corbin O and I
I thought our concert went pretty well. Before the concert DP, Grant, and some others discovered that our pitch pipe had been broken and certain pitches were flat or flat out wrong. Not all pitches were wrong, just certain ones. In our recent concerts, we had found it hard to sing in tune on songs that we had not had any problems previously. This explained a lot. Jamie, a freshman this year, has perfect pitch but didn't tell anyone. He came out and told DP at this time and from then on for certain songs during the concert Jamie was going to have to sing the note for the choir. I must say that it went better than I thought. It was weird to get the pitch from a voice rather than a pitch pipe, but everyone picked up on the pitch and we sang great. After the concert we walked back to the Pietrak and we got changed for our concert. I was lucky enough to have the amazing Shatera steam my tux for me. When we were all dressed and ready to go we boarded the bus and drove to the Count's ball. All of the guys looked good. All of the guys were told to wear a suit and all of the girls needed to have a nice dress. All of the girls did their hair really nice. I wore my tux and I have to say that I looked good.

The Handsome Five (left to right: Jamie, Tyler, Jeff, Me, and Jay)
Bonds (left to right: Ben and I)
 Gabrielle and Myself
 Maddie and Myself 
Black and White Trio (left to right: Myself, Jena, Ben)
Left to Right: Ellie, Myself, and Leah
Left to Right: Myself, John, and Leah
Handsome Guys (John and I) - I have stood next to John whenever we have sang a German song. John is the choir's go-to guy for German pronunciation. I intentionally sing and speak German poorly and just straight up wrong to bug him. I have to admit...it works
"The Guys" - Album Cover (left to right: Corbin M, Jeff, Myself, Corbin O)
Ashley and Myself
Holly and Me
Shatera, the lovely lady who steamed my tux and helped me to look good
Tux Friend (Josh and Myself)
I want to say a special thanks to my mix formation ladies. Both of you are some of the best women I know. It has been a pleasure to have stood and sang next to you.

Tynelle and Myself
Krissi and Myself
Krissi looked like she walked right out of the Great Gatsby. She looked great!
Me with my mixed formation ladies
Andrea and Myself - we have been 4 year Bethel Choir members. 
The Always Cute Half-Pint (Courtney) and Myself
I decided to let Courtney be tall for a picture
Friends! (left to right: Chris, Ali, Anika, and Myself)
 Anika and Myself
Cheers (left to right: Ben, Jena, Ellie, and Myself)
Em and Myself - Sophomore year Emily's and my roommates became some of the best of friends. She is such a wonderful friend and I am blessed to have Em in my life
The always beautiful Bell - just look at that smile
Myself, Madeleine, and Callie
Madeleine and Myself - I have only known her less than a year yet I feel that I have known her for much longer
Jameson "Whiskey" Carlton Brooks III and Myself
Jameson and Callie
The elegant Callie and Myself -  Callie and I are also 4 year choir members together. She was also my Lady of the Lake for our duet "The Song That Goes Like This" (from Spamalot). She is one of the most talented musicians I know and one of my classiest of friends.
Bre and I
At the ball the Jazz Band played a few sets and a local band played some music. Everyone danced and really enjoyed themselves. DP even tore it up on the dance floor. It was about 1 when we were told to board the bus and head back to the hotel. We could have easily danced the night away. It was truely a wonderful evening and these people are the only people that I would have wanted to spend this magical evening with.

No comments:

Post a Comment