Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Berlin Experience (June 9th)


The last day of choir tour. Granted that we still had the next day flying home together, but this was our last day of tour  in my book. What a grand day it was. I liked Berlin far more than I thought I would. When we arrived in Berlin, the choir discovered that there was a big bike race throughout the city. As a result our buses could not pull right up to our hotel. So we had to walk several blocks with all of our bags to the hotel. Our hotel happened to be right next to the Hauptbanhof, the main train station in Berlin. The hotel was called the Meninger Hotel.


Walking to our hotel we saw the government building
The rooms were nothing super special. My room had 2 bunk beds, therefore I shared my room with my roommates Jeff, Corbin O, and Corbin M. However, since we had arrived before they could clean the rooms, as such we put all of our bags into people whose rooms had been cleaned. So that was a minor annoyance. Another interesting thing was that we were all forced to wear wristbands. That way the staff could tell that we were there. It made me feel like being in a hospital. In any case, we grouped together and went to lunch. Ben, Jay, and Myself tried to go a different direction than all of the other groups. We walked into a part of the city that did not really have anything of interest or of note. Most places were closed. The only thing that I found interesting was Humboldt University. It seemed much smaller than I thought. But it would be a place where I would considering going to school. However, as I would discover later, that was not the main building. It must have been subject specific for I saw the main building later on my tour of Berlin. Ben, Jay, and myself went into the Hauptbanhof. It was like a multi-level mall that happens to have trains. It was pretty intense. Any store that you could think of in both Germany and America was in this single location.

After lunch the choir returned to the Meninger Hotel to relocate our luggage to our proper rooms. At this time I contacted my contact in Berlin named Rick. Rick was one of my mother's high school friends who has lived in Germany for the last 30 years. Rick had agreed to show me around Berlin, so I took up offer. When he came to pick me up at the Meninger Hotel, I travelled by train and subway with Rick and his friend to the house of his friend where he was staying. After that he could show me around Berlin without carrying all of his bags.

When we started my tour of Berlin, Rick and I took the train into former East Berlin, because that is where all of the history is. When we got there we hopped onto a bus. Along the way he pointed out landmarks to me. We passed embassy after embassy. Some looked really cool and others did not. Russia's looked like how you would think it should...concrete blocks. Very austere. We got off the bus sooner than anticipated because I wanted to jump off and see Humboldt University. In the square was this glass window looking down into the ground. Inside were empty bookshelves. This was a memorial to the knowledge that was lost during the Nazi book burnings that took place at that location. Also in the square was this really neat church. We went inside, but there was a service going on, therefore I refrained from taking pictures.

Humboldt University
Humboldt University
Humboldt University
From Humboldt we simply walked. I followed Rick's directions since I had no clue where I was going. This memorial was the Neue Wache. After German Reunification, this building was rededicated to to the victims of fascissm and militarism. 




As we walked more, we walked across a bridge to museum island. Museum island is home to the Altes Museum, Bode Museum, Neues Museum, Alte Nationalgalerie, and the Pergamon Museum. If I would have had more time in Berlin, I would have spent a day or two going to these museums. The positive side of not going into the museums this time around is that I can spend much more time when I come back to Berlin and Germany.



Berlin Cathedral
Altes Museum
Berlin Cathedral

Somewhat close to museum island where these next set of pictures.


Neptune
The Neptune Fountain
On our way towards the Brandenburg Gate, I made sure to see some sections of the Berlin Wall. I did not see the intact parts of the wall but the section I did see was a little art gallery. 


Our second to last stop was Checkpoint Charlie. It took me a while to get a picture without another person posing in my picture. First there was this family who took way too many pictures, then they just stood in front of it, although it was clear that I was waiting for them to move. I'm sure they were American's. The way they dressed and talked (loudly I might add) made them definitive Americans. But I managed to get the picture.

Check Point Charlie
My last stop was the Brandenburg Gate. I could not let myself leave Berlin without seeing this landmark.





I was getting tired of walking, and I was a little damp from the rain. I had not been wearing my rain jacket as it was very warm. However Rick had two umbrellas. So I stayed dry for the most part. I was mostly cold from wearing shorts and sandals, causing my legs to be cold. We then took the train back to the Hauptbanhof. Instead of getting off there, we continued onto what was West Berlin. Rick took me out to dinner at a place called Dieners. It was a former Tattersall, which was a place where people could go to ride horses. Rick told me that he is very fond of this place. Every time he comes to Berlin, he has to come to Dieners. Also, it was the place where movie stars and other notable figures have eaten while in Berlin. Rick made sure that I would have an authentic Berlin eating experience. He started me off with Berliner Weisse. It is a Berlin produced beer with either Raspberry or Woodruff syrup. I stayed primarily with the Woodruff.

Woodruff Berliner Weisse
Berliner Weisse
Rick ordered a simple appetizer, but he did not tell me what it was. The appetizer consisted of two pieces of rye bread, with a thick butter type thing, and onions. Rick spread the spread onto the bread and then mixed in the onions. I ate it and I liked it. But it was definitely not butter. It was thicker and greasier. After I was done, Rick told me that it was made from goose fat. It was basically lard. He said it is really bad for you if you eat it all the time, which is why he only gets it when he is at Dieners.


For dinner I ate kasespatzle (cheese spatzle). It was the German version of macaroni and cheese, but I like it so much more. We talked about what he has done with his life and I shared with him my plans for graduate school in Germany. It was a lovely conversation.



Afterwards dinner, I realized that it was close to 11 pm. I was actually tired. I thought that I was time I go back to my hotel. Before we left we tried to find a place for ice cream, but we didn't find any that were open. We took the train back to the Hauptbanhof and he made sure that I got back to the hotel fine before returning to his accommodation.  Most of the choir had returned by then, but some where still experiencing Berlin's nightlife. I went up to my room and packed my bags for the flight the following day. I did not want to be caught with fluids where they are not supposed to be.

Here ends my final Bethel Choir Tour. It was a great time indeed. This experience will be something that I will cherish for the rest of my life. So here ends one trip while another one begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment