Monday, July 15, 2013

Picturesque Neuschwanstein (June 14th)

Today was the first rainy day of this part of my trip. The last few days have been perfect. They have been sunny, warm, but with a nice breeze so it does not feel super hot. If summer could be the weather that I had in the Alps, then I would never leave.

Neuschwanstein was built in the 19th century by Crazy King Ludwig. Castles were no longer needed, but Ludwig wanted a castle to impress those that would come to visit. Unfortunately, he died before Neuschwanstein was completed. It was one of the most ornate palaces that I have ever seen in my life.  However, to build the castle Ludwig used his peoples money.

When we arrived in Fussen at the bottom of Neuschwanstein to find a sea of tourists. I hate going to historic places to find tourists who really don't care about being there. They are there to get their picture then leave. Our tickets allowed us to have a assigned tour time. Each tour was supposed to last 40 minutes, but there were groups in the room in front and behind you. I like to take my time when I go on a tour. I am getting ahead of myself however. Most people love Neuschwanstein, but it was not my favorite.
Hohenschwangau - place where Ludwig was born
When we arrived, we took a bus up to the castle. They nickel and dime you at every turn. You pay for everything here. That is what I like the least about major touristy places. They take a historic place but disney-fy it so they can make money. They exploit the history. When we got off the bus, we venture up a short path to a iron bridge that overlooked the castle. This bridge gives the best view of the castle. When my parents where here 31 years ago, they took a picture with the castle over their shoulders. Now my mom and dad have the same picture but with their two children.

left to right: Parker, Diana, Scott, and Martina
The fog in this picture reminds me of my experience at Craigsmillar Castle near Edinburg. It gives the castle a mystical quality. 
Craigsmillar Castle Scotland
Neuschwanstein



For the tour itself we were not allowed to take pictures inside. When you leave the castle you exit through the two gift shops. Overall I was not super impressed. It was nice and I will probably bring my kids there one day, but it will not be on the top of my list. It is the honest truth. Others may be of different opinion than me, but I have stated my opinion.

After Neuschwanstein we drove to the Weisse Kirche (Wheat Church). This church is supposedly the most ornate baroque church in Germany. The outside of the church it does not look super ornate, but wait till you get inside. You have to leave feeling happy simply because Jesus rides/sits on a rainbow. On this trip alone I have seen some spectacular churches, but this one may take the cake. 

Ceiling as you walk into the church

Organ
Altar


"Taste the Rainbow"
After we got dinner at a place near the church we drove back to our place in Reutte.  When we got back, my sister and I walked around the town on our own. She went one way to make a call, and I walked another. I just wanted to walk around. I then walked back and spent the rest of the night relaxing, journaling, and reading the Hobbit.

Today just seemed like a really long day. This was the first day on my trip in Europe that I felt that the trip is getting long. I hope this feeling does not persist. I am sure it will not. Tomorrow will be a long day of driving, but I know I will feel better tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment